Friday, October 28, 2011

Playa del Carmen, Day 5 - Wed. October 26, 2011

Today was the day before the hurricane!

We woke up early as usual and had our breakfast. Today I had French toast and Mr. Sassy had the Mexican breakfast called Molletes. As usual we also enjoyed some fresh-squeezed juice. Here’s a picture of the buffet which shows the fresh juice and fruit.



Guess who we ran into this morning on our way to the restaurant? Our cute little girl.



Today was a very odd day, weather-wise. The weather was constantly fluctuating all day. In the morning, the sky looked very ominous. It LOOKED like a hurricane was coming. I was able to take some striking photographs because of the contrast between the dark sky and the light turquoise sea.







At times, the sun would burst through. And then a minute later it was raining again.
Here’s a video I took on our balcony during a particularly rainy spell.


We were determined not to let the miserable weather ruin our good time, so we tried to enjoy the beach and pool areas as much as possible. The ocean was a bit rough today, so we didn’t spend much time in the ocean. I had been avoiding going into the pools because they were pretty cold, but I forced myself in today. Brrr!!!

While we were in the Aventura pool, a torrential downpour began. That didn’t deter us. We stayed put. We figured – we’re wet anyway, so why leave?



Here's a video of us walking from the beach back to our hotel room...and I stopped to chat with the bartender about the drink special of the day.



We had lunch at the hotel and we both had the Mexican platter. Yummm!!!



We checked in at the reception area to get more information about the storm. It was definitely scheduled to hit on Thursday and at this time it is still projected to be a Category 1. We spoke with one of the front desk people about the evacuation process, in the event that we are required to evacuate. She explained that if we are required to evacuate, they will take us to their “shelter” which is actually at the Hotel Carmen in town. She explained that we would be housed in a hotel room without furniture and that we would have to share the room with 5 other guests.

Mr. Sassy and I agreed that under no circumstances were we interested in that scenario, so in speaking further with the front desk person, she helped us find another hotel in town where we could reserve a private room (at our cost). We told her we did not want to pay more than $50 USD per night and she recommended a hotel called El Elefante in the middle of town. She called the hotel for us and they reserved a room for us. Mr. Sassy took a walk to Elefante to pay for our room, so that it would be guaranteed for us. We were glad to know this alternate plan was in place.



Late in the afternoon, the weather got pretty nice and sunny for awhile. Mr. Sassy even went into the ocean. It was too rough for me, so I stayed put under the umbrella.

Because of the crazy weather and my continued sore foot, our goal for dinner was to visit another restaurant close-by. A restaurant named Luna Maya was on our must-visit list, so we walked there, but it was boarded up and closed. We walked down the main drag, Fifth Avenue, to find another place to eat and noticed that a lot of places were boarded up in preparation for the storm.



My foot seemed to be doing okay, and it wasn’t raining too badly, so we continued to walk all the way into town and decided to eat at Carboncito’s, another top-rated restaurant. When we arrived, we were the only ones there and we sat outside overlooking the street. They were not serving alcoholic drinks this night and we later learned that when a hurricane is forecasted, liquor sales are banned. A local explained to us that the reason for that is that everyone needs to have the use of all their faculties to deal with the emergency situation. Needless to say, Mr. Sassy (a.k.a. “Beverage Boy”) wasn’t too happy about this rule, but he survived.

The food at Carboncito’s was delectable. I had a virgin pina colada. We had their salsa sampler, which had an array of different salsas…some very spicy (i.e. too hot for me) and some less spicy. The most delicious was the pumpkin seed salsa which was mouth-watering. For our entrees, we got soft tacos with vegetarian fillings. Mr. Sassy’s had mixed vegetables and mine had poblano peppers and cactus. They were to die for.





While sitting at the restaurant, I took this photo of the lamps for sale across the street. I love how the lamp light reflects off the puddle of water in the street.



After that, we walked down the main drag a little more. Mr. Sass wanted to look for that Bimbo shirt he’s been eyeing. I waited outside the store. To be honest, the sales clerks are way too pushy for my taste and I can’t tolerate shopping in the stores for more than 30 seconds at a time. Mr. Sass came out a few minutes later and told me they had the Bimbo shirt and it was $960 pesos. He asked how much that is. I told him, “You must be mistaken. It can’t be $960 pesos. That’s about $80 USD! You must mean $96 pesos.” He was sure that the price was $960, so I went in the store with him and sure enough, that stupid polyester Bimbo shirt was indeed $80 USD!!! We busted out laughing, so the clerk said, “I can give you a discount”. A discount? It would have to be a pretty BIG discount for us to buy it – like a $70 USD discount! We smiled and said, “No, gracias” and walked out.



(The only reason Mr. Sassy wants this shirt is because he likes to wear ridiculous things that make people laugh and he is convinced that this shirt would be fun to wear in his band. I should mention that his band is NOT a silly band, like Weird Al. He’s in a serious progressive rock band. I don’t see how a Bimbo shirt fits into that scene, but who can ever explain the enigma that is Mr. Sass?)

The only other place we stopped tonight was a gelato place and it was extra good. Of course, it was way too expensive (about $6 USD for a couple scoops), but very good.

It was quiet on the street tonight. Many of the shop owners were boarding up and the streets were pretty empty. We passed by this one building that had some big trees out front and they were LOADED with bats!



Back at the hotel, we were both WIPED. Our feet were throbbing. Once again, we were in bed by about 9:30 (what a couple old farts).

No comments: