Around 6:30 we headed to the Aventura Restaurant so Mr. Sass could get his coffee. Guess who we ran into on the way? Gato Girl! She came galloping after us and followed us to the restaurant. She is so freaking cute. We are already in love with her.
We had breakfast on the outdoor patio overlooking the sea again.
For breakfast this morning, I ordered Huevos Rancheros (I asked for the eggs to be scrambled instead of fried) and Mr. Sassy got a dish called Molletes, which is a baguette topped with all kinds of sautéed vegetables and cheese. Oh, and they had fresh squeezed cantaloupe juice this morning…beyond yummy!!!
We enjoyed our breakfast and spent the day alternating between the beach and the pools. I’ve been anxious to get into the beautiful swimming pools, but man are they chilly! I tried to get myself in twice, but it was so cold. The small pool by the Aventura Restaurant has a smaller section that is a hot tub, so we did sit in there for awhile.
The beach was gorgeous today! Again, about 80 degrees, blazing sunshine and the water was calm and warm. We spent a lot of time splish splashing around. I took a video of the resort from the beach.
I also took my camera into the water with me (holding it high so as not to get it wet) and took some pictures and videos in the water.
Here’s Mr. Sass scouting for fish.
Mr. Sassy had an awesome “Yes” moment on the beach today, which made him think of our friend George who shares his love of the band. He was standing in the ocean listening to Roundabout by Yes on his IPod and at the very moment when the lyric is “the eagle’s dancing wings create as weather spins out of hand”, he looked up and saw three giant sea birds fighting for a fish in mid-air.
I went onto the internet and checked to see if TD Bank had resolved the ATM issue. Thankfully, the bank advised me that the issue was resolved and I should be able to use the card.
At this point we have decided that Mahekal Beach Resort is our new favorite place to vacation. We love almost every single thing about this place. It’s rustic, it’s elegant, it’s very clean and well maintained, the staff are very friendly, efficient and helpful (except when they forgot about our refrigerator), the beach is drop-dead gorgeous and not crowded or noisy (no blaring music on this beach), it's close enough to the action without being right on top of all the chaos, the landscaping is gorgeous…like a tropical wonderland, the resort is quiet, the food is very good and we love that 2 meals are included so we can save some $$ and still get to go out on the town once/day for dinner. Oh, and we love the fact that there's air conditioning and 2 swimming pools!
The only things we don’t like (and these are not that big a deal) – are the shower, which is practically useless. It’s one of these rain shower type contraptions and the water pressure is so damned light, we felt like we couldn’t get the shampoo and soap rinsed off thoroughly. Also, the water temperature for the shower is difficult to regulate and every day it took several minutes of fiddling to get the temperature comfortable for showering. Other minor complaints: we wish the fridge was included in the room and that we didn’t have to pay extra for it. And we wish they provided unlimited drinking water instead of only 1 liter/day/room. We had to run to the convenience store to get more water.
Back to our day…
We had lunch at Mahekal again today on the patio overlooking the ocean. Today I had the fish sandwich which came with a side of corkscrew French fries which were very tasty. The sandwich had 3 layers and the fish was very moist and flavorful. Mr. Sassy got a tuna fish sandwich, which was also made like a club sandwich and his sandwich also came with fries. Very yummy.
We went back to the room to shower and were greeted by this cute towel art sculpture today.
We took our drinks to the beach and enjoyed them while lounging on lounge chairs. It was particularly beautiful because the sky was darkening with clouds and the contrast between the sky and the light turquoise ocean created such a striking contrast. We even saw a brief rainbow and (as luck would have it), I didn’t have my camera with me at that moment as it was back in our room charging.
After dinner, we walked to the beach to check out a beach bar called Fusion. When we got there, it was about 8:30 or 9:00 p.m. and it was a quiet scene. There wasn’t really anything going on - just some soft downtempo music playing and people enjoying drinks. So we sat there for a little while (my sprained foot was hurting a bit). Mr. Sassy went off to see if he could buy a cigar, but returned unhappy because the shop keeper of the store he went into tried to swindle him into buying a cigar he had not yet decided he wanted.
After Fusion, we walked around Fifth Avenue a little more. I love the fact that you can always hear Mariachi musicians playing on the street. Here's a brief clip of one.
I was in the mood for chocolate, so we stopped at a little café called Ah, Cacao – which is a chocolate and coffee café. I was interested in getting their brownie which I had read good things about and Mr. Sassy also got a brownie and some espresso. I have to say, the brownies were a disappointment. They had a rich chocolate flavor, but were quite flat, dry and stale tasting - not anywhere near as good as the ones I bake at home. But it was nice to have a chocolate fix.
After that, I was feeling tired and my foot was bothering me. The walk back to the hotel was extra long because we were unknowingly heading in the opposite direction of the hotel for several blocks before we realized it. By the time we got back to the hotel, we were exhausted and my sprained foot was THROBBING. I had to put ice on it and elevate it before bed. I knew it was probably not the best idea to be doing so much walking on a sprained foot, but I couldn’t even consider the alternative of not walking during vacation, so I dealt with it.
Like two old folks, we were in bed by about 10 p.m.
No comments:
Post a Comment